Thursday, April 21, 2011

Technology Integrated Lesson Plan #2




Lesson Title: What Makes a Good Citizen?

Substance of Lesson: I want the students to understand how they can be a good citizen now even though they may feel too young. Many young students feel that being a good citizen is something for adults alone. However, I want to show them that they too can be a good citizen and make their environment(s) better. I believe it is important to start out this understanding early on in life so the students can bring it with them when they grow into adults. 

Technology Integration: Before this lesson was simply a talk about being a good citizen and then filling out a worksheet. Once I heard about www.scrapblog.com I realized that using this tool would be much more fun and motivating for the students. I will let them create their own scrapblog explaining what they can do to be a good citizen. Scrapblog is very easy to use and I feel that the students will be able to learn quickly how to create pages.

Grade: 2
Length: Roughly 45 minutes

This lesson covers the duties of an active citizen within the community. I will also teach the students ways they can be part of the community now (volunteering, keeping up with current events in the community, etc.)

Lesson Objectives: 
Understand the ways that they can already participate in the community (personal/civic responsibilities)
Participate in community improvement projects (thank you notes to firemen)

Grade Level Content Expectations (GLCEs):
2 – C5.0.2 Distinguish between personal and civic responsibilities and explain why they are important in community life.
2 – C5.0.3 Design and participate in community improvement projects that help or inform others.

Procedure:
Introduction:
·         I will have the class gather into the back of the room.
·         I will then go over what we will be doing for my lesson.
·         I will also tell them that they are to listen and stay focused because the end of the lesson will be fun.

Activity 1:
·         I will have “Good Citizen” written on the whiteboard.
·         Ask the students to share ideas about what they think a good citizen is. This will be a very casual conversation.
·         I will write all of the ideas on the whiteboard and talk to the students about each of them.
·         After the board is full I ask the students why they think it is important to be a good citizen and we share these ideas aloud.

Activity 2:
·         During this part of the lesson I will ask the students how they can help out in their community, homes, and at school.
·         I will also need to be sure to explain to the students that there are many things they can do even if it doesn’t seem like it sometimes.
·         I will let them share ideas for a few minutes aloud.

Activity 3: Technology Integration/Assessment

·         Now I will have the students go back to their desks where there will be laptops already passed out.
·         I will have the students open their web browsers and go to http://www.scrapblog.com/ then login to the classroom’s user name.
·         I will tell the students they have about twenty five to thirty minutes to create a scrapblog. They are required to create at least one page but can make as many as they want in the time they are given.
·         They are required to display with pictures, text, and/or videos how they themselves can be a good citizen.

Side note: If there are not enough computers available for all of the students, this lesson would still be beneficial if students broke up into groups and shared computers. Also, if a Smart Board is available in the classroom, the teacher can create a sample scrapblog with the class before the create their own.

Potential Student Creation:



1 comment: