Thursday, April 14, 2011

My First Time Editing Wikipedia

I use Wikipedia on a daily basis. However, I had never edited any of the pages. I knew that it was an option but I never really got the urge to change something. For my CEP416 online technology class at Michigan State, we were required to edit something on Wikipedia and show what we did using screen shots. Our professor recommended editing the Wikipedia page about our high school. I went to one of the largest public school in Michigan, East Kentwood. Consequently, our Wikipedia page was already pretty established. I had a hard time finding anything that was incorrect or anything that I found worth adding. I decided to add a little more information about where our soccer teams host their home games. Before I changed the page it looked like this:


The final sentence of the Athletic Facilities section reads, "An off-campus Soccer Sportsplex which is renowned in the state for its artificial turfed field and facilities." I decided that I would add a little bit more detail about this facilitity and changed the sentence to the following: "An off-campus Soccer Sportsplex which is renowned in the state for its artificial turfed field and facilities. The field is still called Pat Patterson as it was before the remodel. It is also in the same location near one of Kentwood's three middle schools, Crestwood Middle school."

The page now looks like this:


It took me only about thirty seconds to edit the page. I didn't know it was such an easy task until now. Maybe the next time I see something incorrect, I will be more likely to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment