Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Technology in the classroom is not a new idea...




I was browsing YouTube to find some videos on technology in the classroom for one of my classes. I some how came across the above video and it really got me to start thinking about the idea of technology and just ideas in general. I obviously realize that technology has advanced in huge amounts since the time period shown in the video, but is the idea really all that new? When I was in elementary school we had computer labs and in our district that was what was considered top notch technology in the educational setting. Each classroom had an overhead projector and that was considered top of the line as well. By the time I was in high school we had several different carts of laptops that circled into different classrooms. Now that I am college, I sometimes go back to the same district where there are now smart boards and Mac computers in classrooms. There are all kinds of new things all the time. It is interesting to me that the technology is constantly changing faster and faster everyday but the idea that it is important to always implement it in the classroom is not a new idea at all.


So, is the old saying "nothing is new under the sun" in some ways true after all?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that video. When I think of education earlier than the 90s, I typically think of teachers using only a chalkboard. In reality though, technology has long been utilized to advance education in classrooms.
    Your blog reminded me of my elementary school days as well. We used to get so excited when our class was able to use the laptop carts for a day! I remember my parents telling me that I would be so great with computers since I was being exposed to them at a young age. I do appreciate growing up with so much technology use available to me, however like you said, it is changing so quickly that there will always be more to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, this video is awesome. I wish there was a date on it. I like your point that the concept of "technology" is not new. The hesitancy and fear of it is not new either. Usually we think of technology as machine-like equipment. However, I had an instructor talk about how, at one point, implementing paper and pencils into the classroom was the new 'technology' craze (as opposed to the slate board). Interesting perspective, huh?

    ReplyDelete