Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Creating a Graph Online Simply

The technology I decided to focus on for my new technology post was simply creating a graph on KID'S ZONE.

I actually found about this website in one of my college courses. We are actually using this graphing program that was created for younger students for a Functional Behavior Assessment in my behavior management course. As I began to use it for my own purposes, I realized how much easier this was than the graphing I did in elementary, middle, and high school. I do appreciate programs like Microsoft Excel but this one was so much simpler to use. I believe that students would enjoy creating graphs either as a class, in groups, or individually using this tool.

First, you choose which kind of graph you would like to create. Your choices are bar, line, area, bar and XY. For this example I am going to select the bar graph. Once you have selected the bar graph you will see this screen:

Let's say I am trying to show a third grade class how to create a bar graph. I decide that I am going to have the students choose between three foods, which one they like best. I tell them that we can compare what food is more popular to ones that are not in our classroom.
You then choose the direction of the graph, the shape, then the style. After this is complete you can click the data tab on the right side of the screen. There you will see this:


After filling out these tabs, you will then fill in the labels. After this is complete you can preview your graph:



The graph can then be saved and printed. The task was very simple for me to use. I could do this task quickly and on the fly in my classroom.

Pros of this tool:
  • This tool can be used for almost any age level. There are more advanced graphs and numbers to be used.
  • This tool can be used either teacher or student led. 
  • The tool is simple and quick to learn.
  • The tool is free and easily accessible.
  • Some students will enjoy doing their math online rather than on paper
Possible cons:
  • Some students may benefit by doing their graphing activities on paper
  • Schools may not have enough computers for each student to get enough of an opportunity creating their own graphs.
What do you think of using this tool rather than creating graphs online or on paper?

1 comment: